Whether you recently replaced your roof with slate or asphalt shingles, you might think that you don’t need to worry about your home for years, even when storms hit. But that doesn’t mean you can put off the timely inspection and maintenance when it’s needed, especially after a strong storm.
Checking your roof from the ground is simple enough to do, as you’re able to see from a distance how your roof is holding up over time. This won’t always be useful, however, because you won’t be able to spot all the potential problems your roof may already have but aren’t immediately visible. This is where a professional inspection becomes necessary.
You also can’t just hire any professional to check your roof. You’ll need a local roof repair contractor who you can trust, so that you’ll know that each inspection made on your roof is thorough and precise. Southern Roofing Company explains why this is so important.
How Your Roof Gets Storm Damage
Your roof is one of the first lines of defense that your home has against weather elements such as the sun, wind, rain, hail, sleet and snow. A well-built roof will get you through most storms, but whether your roofing structure becomes compromised over time depends on the type of weather and how much damage it sustains. Here are a few common types to look out for:
- Heavy Rain – When rain becomes heavy and persistent, it can loosen your shingles’ grip to the roof surface over time. If you’ve recently experienced a very wet rainy season, you’ll need to have your asphalt shingles professionally inspected by a trusted roofer to be safe.
- Hail – Hail storms often come down in unthinkable sizes, ranging from marbles to golf balls to baseballs! The force that hail comes down with is more than enough to dent vehicles, so imagine the damage it can do to your roof.
The most common damage from hail storms is to the metal flashing on your roof. This can be problematic over time as it can compromise your roof’s membrane and lead to major water leaks. So, if you recently weathered a bad hailstorm, don’t think twice about calling a professional to check your roof.
- Wind – It doesn’t take a tornado to lift the shingles off your roof completely; in fact, strong winds can easily blow them away and expose the vulnerable parts of your roofing system. It can also turn small debris into projectiles, penetrate your system and let water leak through.
Large nearby trees can become uprooted by strong winds and can leave your roof wide open when they fall over and cause large amounts of water to enter your home. Even if this isn’t the case, it’s recommended to have your roof checked after weathering a storm that had strong winds so you can check for any minor punctures and other issues.
- Snow – A serious winter storm can cause major damage and even cave-ins to your roof, and this is mainly due to the weight of the snow combined with the fluctuating temperatures. As sleet builds up in sub-zero temperatures, the water that freezes in small nooks and crannies can cause your shingles to crack and gutters to burst. It would be wise to have your roof checked if you’ve recently experienced a strong winter storm in your area.
How You Can Benefit From a Professional Roof Inspection
Hiring a professional roof repair contractor allows you to speed up the inspection/repair process and save you more money in the process. You’ll also get several benefits such as:
- Taking Note of the Smaller Issues – While it isn’t a bad idea to go up your own roof and inspect it yourself, you won’t likely won’t damage while checking. You’ll only notice and maybe even repair the more obvious damage you see yourself, but it’s the minor and almost unseen problems that can come back to haunt you over time.
Only a professional can thoroughly check your roof and make the necessary repairs, so that you won’t have to make costly ones later on when the damage is too big to miss. Small leaks, damaged shingles and ice dams are all examples of smaller structural damage that’re rarely overlooked. Professionals also know exactly what to look for on both the exterior and the interior of your roofing system.
- You’ll Have Help In Filing Insurance Claims – One of the best reasons for having a professional shingle and metal roofing inspection after a strong storm is that they make it easier to handle an insurance claim. Insurance companies require pictures along with an extensive amount of proof that there is any amount of damage.
During your professional inspection, our team will be sure to help you take pictures of any and all damage while filling out a comprehensive summary of what is wrong. All the reports are also professionally certified, which means that your insurance company won’t decline it. Roof estimates are also made during the roofing inspection, saving you time and energy in the long run.
- Save More Money Over Time – Skipping the professional roof inspection after a recent storm will only mean more costly repairs later on. The small roofing problems on your roof might not seem like a lot, but they’ll become bigger if you choose to put off the necessary repairs. Even if you don’t immediately see the problems on your roof, there’s always a possibility that they can become more expensive to fix over time since the damage has already worsened by then.
Professional roofing inspections must be done after a major storm if you want to ensure your roof is in top condition. Pair that with preventive maintenance, and you can be confident that your roof will last well beyond its expected lifespan. So, when a particularly strong storm has blown through, make sure to call a trusted shingle and metal roofing contractor to inspect your roof. Call Southern Roofing Company today at (470) 299-7663 or fill out our convenient form online to get started!